What You’ll Need:
For the Marinara
1 Large Onion, Chopped
2 Carrots, Chopped
6 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
2 28oz Can’s of whole peeled San Marzano Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
¼ Tsp Red Pepper Flake
Salt to Taste
For the Pesto
1/3 Cup Chopped Almonds
1 ½ Cup Packed Basil, torn with hands
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Water
1 Lemon, Juiced and zested
1 Tsp Salt
3 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
For the Filling
2 Tsp Olive Oil
16 oz. Cremini Mushrooms, stems removed and sliced thin
6 Cups Fresh Spinach, large chop
Salt to taste
1 Lbs Dried Lasagna Noodles, cooked per instructions on pack
4 Cups Good Quality Ricotta
1 Large Tomato, sliced into 1/4” rounds
What You’ll Do:
- First make the Marinara by heating the oil in a medium pot placed over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions for 10-12 minutes or until golden then add the carrot and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and red pepper flake and stir to combine.
- Remove the tomatoes from the cans with your hands and squeeze the tomatoes into the pot breaking into smaller pieces. Careful not to shoot tomato juice all over this kitchen… this should be done carefully. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 30-35 minutes.
- To make the pesto, place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Once fully combined, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For the filling, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes or until they have released most of their moisture and begin to brown.
- Add the spinach and a pinch of salt and cook until the spinach has wilted. Remove from heat and stir in the pesto until well combined.
- Remove marinara from heat, and using a hand blender, blend until smooth.
- In a 9×13 Pyrex, cover the bottom with a thin layer of the marinara. Add a layer of the cooked pasta sheets. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta onto the pasta sheets followed by 1/3 of the mushroom and spinach filling. Cover with marinara and repeat this process 3 times or until you run out of room. Cover the top layer of noodles with the last bit of the sauce then top with slices of tomato.
- Cover with foil and back for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and let bake uncovered for another 25-30 minutes or until the edges have began to brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
1 thought on “Basil Pesto Mushroom & Spinach Lasagna”
This looks absolutely delicious!!!! Cant wait to try it!!!
LikeLiked by 1 person