What You’ll Need:
1 bunch swiss chard
3 tbsp sunflower oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 green onions, white and green parts sliced
1 pkg frozen spinach
2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup dill, chopped
1 cup fresh mint, chopped
Zest of 2 lemons
2 Large eggs
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups feta
½ cup olive oil
12 sheets of Philo dough, I use frozen
Salt and pepper to taste
What You’ll Do:
- Heat sunflower in a large pan over medium heat.
- Separate the chard leaves from the stalks. Chop about half of the stalks into small pieces.
- Add the chard stalks, green onion and garlic to pan and cook until softened and fragrant… about 5 minutes.
- Add the chard leaves, cover and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Add thawed spinach and herbs cooking until wilted and flavors combine… about 5 minutes more. Transfer to colander to drain liquid and let cool briefly.
- Squeeze liquid from spinach mixture then add to a bowl along with the lemon zest, eggs and nutmeg. Mix well then fold in the feta.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Brush 9×13 baking pan with olive oil.
- On a cutting board or clean surface, lay one sheet of philo and brush with olive oil. Repeat this until 6 sheets have been stacked and oiled. Add this layer to the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spread spinach mixture onto the dough.
- Repeat philo layering for another 6 sheets then add to the top of the spinach mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is a deep golden brown.
- Cut into pieces and add two to each plate.
- Serve with a tomato salad.