What You’ll Need:
½ Cup Olive Oil
2 Jalapenos, sliced into rounds
2 Tbsp Mustard Seed
1 14oz Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
6 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
8 Ripe Tomatoes, Chopped
2 Fresh Bay Leaves
½ Cup Fresh Basil, torn into pieces
1 Tbsp Sugar
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1 lbs Bucatini Pasta
1 Fresh Lime, zested and juiced into pasta to finish
What You’ll Do:
- Heat olive oil in a small pan over medium high heat.
- Once hot, add the jalapeno and mustard seed and fry until blistered and fragrant… about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain saving the oil.
- Sprinkle peppers with salt.
- In a medium sauce pan, add 2 tbsp of the reserved oil and place over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and fry for about 3 minutes or until fragrant and softened.
- Add the canned tomato, chopped tomato, bay leaves, 1/3 of the basil, sugar then salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until flavors fully meld.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta in accordance with the packaging instructions.
- Once the pasta has cooked to al dente, drain and add to the tomato mixture and toss until fully combined.
- Add pasta to a large bowl and top with lime zest and the reserved jalapeno mixture (to taste depending on how spicy you like it).
- Sprinkle with lime juice and serve family style.