What You’ll Need:
½ Lbs Brussel Sprouts, Cut Into Small Wedges
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
4 Chicken Thighs, Bone in, Skin on
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1 ½ Cup Chicken Stock
½ Cup Onion, Minced
¼ Cup Fennel Bulb, Minced
½ Cup Pearl Barley
1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan
½ Turnip, Sliced Very Thin
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a pot of liberally salted water to a boil. Blanch the brussels sprouts for 1 minute in boiling water then transfer to ice bath. Set aside.
- Set a medium sized sauté pan over medium heat. Add the Olive Oil.
- Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- When oil begins to shimmer, add the chicken thighs skin side down and cook without touching for about 10-15 minutes or until the skin is nice and crispy. Flip the chicken and place the pan into the oven for 10 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 165.
- While the skin is crisping, begin making the risotto by adding the chicken stock to 1 cup of water in a saucepan and set over low heat.
- In another pot, over medium heat and add 1 tbsp of oil. When hot, add the onion and fennel and cook until soft… about 5 minutes. Add the barley and toast for another 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly add the warm broth about a ½ cup at a time until each addition is absorbed by the barley. This process should take about 20-25 minutes and all the broth should be used.
- Once you have added the last bit of broth to the barley, add the butter, parmesan and brussels sprout and remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
- Remove chicken from oven and let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
- During the rest, toss the turnip with lemon juice and a little olive oil.
- Spoon the barley risotto onto a platter or pan.
- Place chicken on top of the risotto and garnish with the turnip slices.